V for Vendetta
by Alan Moore and David Lloyd
Forgive me for I have sinned but I saw the movie first. Well anyway they are so different it doesn't matter. I'm not sure what it is that makes them so different even though the basic plot is the same. Anyway....
This graphic novel is much more grittier than the film and seems, almost I guess, more spiritual. (read it you'll see what I mean). I'll start at the end, the explanation for who V is comes across very interestingly in the book as it shows in the sort of epilogue with the nameless young man in the alley. The detective's story is far more detailed also and you feel his journey.I must say I find it strange that the story is by Moore but the illustration by Lloyd, but I guess it makes sense, stick to what you do best afterall. Moore's story is broad and covers everything well, it feels full and gives you that nice satisfied feeling, you may not understand everything he was on about but it made sense and you understand at least what matters. Lloyd's style suits the subject matter but I found one flaw that threw everything else off for me. It is hard to distinguish between the characters. Obviously V has his mask and Evey has no hair at one point then it grows back but with the other characters it is sometimes hard to work out who the scene has switched to until a name is thrown in. This was originally in black and white and some say the colouring has hidden some of the drawing but for me the illustrations were a bit too shadowy and undistinguished, the movement tended to throw me too but perhaps that is because I don't read many western graphic novels (this and maus are the only ones), I'm probably not used to the construction style of the drawings.
As more people may of seen the film than the book I'll just say this, the novel is far better and deeper than the film, it makes sense and doesn't hide some of the more sleazy realities of the futuristic society.
p.s. love the fact it's set in 1998

No comments:
Post a Comment